the old woolshop
Old Woolshop home

Home
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Gallery
Links
Plans
Statistics
Credits



The Old Wool Shop
Diary of a renovation
Part 6: June 2006 - September 2006


 
 

Back hallway

I'd already moved and rebuilt the stairs in the back hallway last June, but ever the gaps that were created around the stairs were never filled. This needed sorting out so I booked the plasterers to come back and in the meantime fitted LED lighting and new energy efficient light fittings to the hall and landing. The low 3 watt LED lights are linked into a circuit of LED fittings that cover all the areas of the house that people walk though to access another part of the house. The idea is to have one circuit illuminating all bathrooms and hallways using so little power that it can be left on whilst people are in the house. This is more efficient than turning a series of lights on and off as people move around the house.

starting the job re-plastered landing more new landing

Downstairs, the re-plastered hallway is a big improvement. This area was badly lit, but the new light fittings are very bright.
stairwell hallway re-plastered hallway

Shower room
The house that we've been living in at the back of the shops had a particularly 'special' bathroom which was now rotting away under the stylish tiling. Although I was hoping to put off replacing this we had to move one wall as part of the re-plastering of the back hallway and so in the end it made sense to do the whole lot together.

Jen particularly enjoyed smashing up the old brown suite!

the old bathroom we never liked it nearly destroyed

That was the easy bit, now to install a new shower, WC and basin. This required quite a lot of new plumbing, tiling and electrics as I installed a shower light and extractor to prevent any future damp/humidity problems. Andy did a great job on the tiling whilst I fitted the new waste and pumped feed to the shower. The shower surround was particularly difficult to install. The new towel radiator required a change to the central heating feeds.

 

new shower and surround new wash stand and basin courtesy of that Swedish furniture company new towel radiator and shaving mirror
Ready for use. Lino will be fitted at the same time as the carpets.
nearly finished

Second Fix
As of June second fix is complete, remaining tasks are to complete all the wood finishes and get carpets and curtains in. This is scheduled for early July. The plan is to have a couple of months off before starting on the kitchen. Here's how things look as of late June.
The bookcase takes all of our books, vinyl and CD's and weighs over half a ton as its constructed from 50 mm thickness MDF. Over time we'll get hold of furniture for the various areas of the living room but at the moment the budget's a bit empty!

staircase and new bookcase living room more bookcase
TV area porch and reading area master bedroom
bathroom whirlpool bath landing

There are still no internal doors upstairs and there's lots of wood finishing to do so this will be getting completed in early July.

Nearly finished rooms!
As of September the majority of second fix is complete, its just all the fiddly bits of decoration and cleaning left. We had a break over summer as the weather was too good to be stuck inside painting. We moved into our new bedroom in August and the new living room space is very welcome.

master bedroom fitted furniture inside the fitted furniture
The bedroom cupboards were fitted out with standard basket, shelf and hanging rail components from Ikea
new bathroom cubby holes in new bathroom WC and mirror cabinet
Finishing the bathroom consisted of painting, completing the cubby holes and fitting the glass shelves behind the bath.
landing landing glass blocks in landing wall

The landing needed the wall washers fitting and some decoration to the glass block 'windows'. The stairs are still waiting for a second coat of smoothrite.

  new home office
The new home office is a massive improvement over the old one. Eventually it will move from the spare bedroom to the back of the house. All Veluxes upstaiirs are fitted with blinds and the rooms are surprisingly large.
finished floor in the new kitchen new floor
The floor in the new kitchen was a real mess as the room had been used as a workshop for the last eighteen months. It took me five days to clean the dust, plaster and oil from the floor and then seal and grout it. I also had to replace a number of tiles which had become damaged due to me not grouting before using the floor. We won't lay a floor again without finishing the job at the time!

 


part 7>>